Saturday, July 10, 2010

Veggies, Veggies Everywhere


Some of this week's shares - Beautiful

So Saturday is CSA pick up day. Remembering this last night and knowing that I hadn't even used up all the veggies from last week I decided to raid the fridge and try to use up as much as I could in one meal. Let me tell you it was fantastic!

I had a bunch of turnips left from last week that I truly had left in the back of the fridge because I am truly stupid about what to do with them. Feeling brave and adventurous I swept the Food Network online recipe database and came up with a Turnip and Edamame recipe that looked worth trying. A few adjustments and voila! A meal that neither I nor Andy could stop eating. The following is the recipe the way I made it, below that is the link to the original recipe. Choose for yourself

Turnips and Edamame

1 bunch of turnips peeled and diced
1 lb shelled Edamame (all I had on hand was frozen)
1 bag frozen peas (or if you are so lucky fresh)
3 Sliced Scallions (both the green and white sections sliced and kept seperate)
Pasta (I used mini thumbprints b/c that is what I had in the cabinet)
Butter
Water
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garlic powder
Fresh Grated Parmesaen

Cook your pasta al dente and set aside
Place diced turnips in pot with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of water, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered for 5-7 minutes
Add the whites of the scallions, the edamame and the peas and one more tablespoon of butter and garlic powder and simmer for another 3-5 minutes
Uncover and simmer until the water is almost all evaporated - add pasta and allow to simmer until pasta absorbs some of the butter liquid
Throw in scallion greens and allow to wilt
Serve with a bit of fresh grated parmesan (I like cheese on my pasta - Andy had it without)


Here is the original recipe from the Food Network
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/glazed-turnips-and-edamame-recipe/index.html



This week's shares were absolutely beautiful. At Newcomb's where I get my shares from we are allotted a monetary amount based on whether we paid for a full or half share. This amount is "spent" in their market pavilion on any combination you want. I am allotted $14, most of the items are marked between .50 and $2 so I come out with a pretty good share of veggies. The market pavilion was filled today with the first really full harvest of the season. The peas were so fresh and green (as you can see) and they had fresh raspberries that I'm sure won't make it to the end of the day if the kids have a say about it. I ended up with the peas, raspberries, broccoli, two heads of romaine, cucumbers, eggs (a gift each week from the farm) and a basket full of tomatoes. Surrounded with veggies I realized it's been a few days since I had checked my garden for anything worth picking.



All five of my onions were ready! I've never grown onions before - quite excited to try them

Almost Ready
The first full harvest of the season

I love planting bean plants. They are the easiest and most fruitful thing I have ever planted. 6 bean plants will yield enough beans to make you not want to look at another one until next year! Definitely a staple in any garden. Unfortunately my tomato plants are not looking so good this year. It is the third year that I have used the Topsy Turvy. The first year I had beautiful and huge tomato plants. Last year I lost htem in the NE hail storms that reaked havock on us in June and this year one has gone on to a better place and the other is hanging on my it's roots (literally and figeratively). Next year I think we are back to good old fashioned ground planting. My herbs didn't make it - I think I put too much in the same pot. Also lost my strawberry baskets from too much rain. I never have luck with strawberries. All in all though everything else is looking healthy and growing big and green and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment